Friday, March 28, 2014

Movies I Like that Everybody Else Hates




Now that I’ve posted my negative contrarian movie post, it’s time to show my good side.  I’m sure my dislike of Anchorman will not endear people to the comedies on this list.  I would’ve included The Cable Guy, if Doug Walker hadn’t already put that on his list.



21. The Pirates of the Caribbean Sequels
2006, 2007
D: Gore Verbinski
Although the story was flawed, I do like it for the offbeat humor, fun action and excellent score.




 


20. Bruce Almighty
2003
D: Tom Shadyac
Although the plot, which involves God’s turning control over to a random guy just so the latter can sort out his first-world problems, is absurd, the movie has some good humor and moments of spiritual insight.

 




19. Semi-Pro
2008
D: Kent Alterman
I thought this movie was actually pretty funny.  I’m sure some people would accuse me of trolling considering I also don’t like Anchorman on top of that.






18. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
2005
D: Doug Liman
Not a great movie, but a solid action-comedy.  The odd thing is that most of the people who criticized it did so under the impression that it was a serious movie.  I thought it was pretty obvious it was a satire.  Starship Troopers seemed to get the same rap.





 
17. The Quick and the Dead
1995
D: Sam Raimi
Though the story is flawed, it’s a western directed by Sam Raimi.  I repeat: a western directed by Sam Raimi.  Seriously, how is this not more popular?  His campy, over-the-top aesthetic fits the genre perfectly.


 



16. Titan AE
2000
D: Don Bluth, Gary Goldman
Considering all the bad movies Don Bluth made in the previous decade, I don’t understand why Don Bluth fans are so hard on this movie.  I guess they really don’t like the CGI elements.  It’s a solid movie given a nice wit thanks to Joss Whedon’s writing.  It has your typical group of quirky characters, which is why I’m particularly confused as to why Doug Walker doesn’t like it; he seems to have a weakness for that trope.




15. Disney’s The Kid
2000
D: Jon Turtletaub
I thought that the twist was poignant.  I’m a softy like that sometimes.






14. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
1991
D: Kevin Reynolds
Even though I think anything that doesn’t depict Robin Hood as an anthropomorphic fox is highly suspect, I still find this to be fun swashbuckler.  Alan Rickman’s Sheriff is classic.  One thing is beyond dispute: this movie is still much better than the atrocious Robin Hood (2010).





 
13. Horton Hears a Who!
2008
D: Jimmy Hayward, Chris Wedge, Steve Martino
Although I normally don’t like these new Suess adaptations, I enjoyed this movie overall.  It has its annoying moments, but I liked Vlad Vladikoff (Will Arnett) and the bridge/dentist scene is one of my favorite slapstick sequences.


 




12. The Matrix Revolutions
2003
D: The Wachowski Bros.
Despite the hokey dialogue, I really enjoyed it.  It was well-paced and it really established a sense of suspense like it was going somewhere.  It wasn’t like Reloaded which seemed like a disjointed mess.  I also like how it fully acknowledged that the Machines were people with their own right to existence, fixing a major flaw of the first movie.  Oh, and best freaking score ever.





11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
2010
D: David Yates
Most people thought it was boring, but this is my favorite movie of the franchise.  I thought it was atmospheric, poignant and very well-directed.  In fact, it was Part 2 I found disappointing.





 
10. Burn After Reading
2008
D: The Coen Bros.
Most people didn’t get this movie, but I thought was a good, dry, off-beat comedy.




 


9. Bedazzled
2000
D: Harold Ramis
I guess putting in a good word for one of his less popular movies is my way of honoring the genius of the late, great Harold Ramis.  This movie is no Ghostbusters, but it’s a funny movie that actually demonstrates the versatility of the underrated Brendan Fraser as a comic acter.
 




8. Death Race
2008
D: Paul W.S. Anderson
Though the stories and characters were bland, I still enjoyed the visual style, the action and the cars.







2010
D: Anthony Bell, Ben Gluck
I thought this was a solid movie that avoided a lot of animated formulas.  Maybe I just like wolves.






 
6. Quantum of Solace
2008
D: Marc Forster
I thought this was a solid addition to the Daniel Craig Bond series, and it has one of the best chases in the franchise.



 




5. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
2004
D: Wes Anderson
Why this is underrated among Wes Anderson’s movies I don’t know.  It combines the best of his visual style and the best of his humor. 






4. The Fountain
2006
D: Darren Aronofsky
A great movie about dealing with mortality.  Great score by Clint Mansell and beautiful visuals.  The fact that this movie did not win an Oscar for its amazing visual effects is a travesty.






3. Comic Book: The Movie
2004
D: Mark Hamill
A lot of people accused this movie of ripping of the vastly inferior Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.  While both movies do involve a geek trying to prevent Hollywood from bastardizing his favorite comic, but the execution could not be more different.  I’m pretty sure Kevin Smith was okay with it, since he has a cameo.  If anything Hamill ripped off the style of Christopher Guest movies and he actually did a pretty good job of it.  The movie is hilarious and it boasts performances from many voice actors, most noticeably being Jim Cummings’ only live action role.  It makes me wonder why doesn’t have more.
 


2006
D: Kurt Wimmer
I won’t pretend that it’s a good movie.  I still think it’s fun.  I’m actually surprised it’s not more popular as a guilty pleasure.  It has the makings of one. 






2008
D: The Wachowski Bros.
I don’t know why people don’t like this movie.  They don’t like joy.  That’s all there is to it.









See also: Movies I Hate that Everyone Else Likes

No comments:

Post a Comment