Wednesday, September 26, 2012

1989 Movies Ranked





Well, now we're in the 80's.  The time of great sci-fi movies and comedies.  Technically before my time, but I still have a lot of nostalgia for the movies and cartoons from this period, partially because my brothers watched them.




13. License to Kill
D: John Glen
**********
An early and unsuccessful attempt to take Bond seriously.
12. All Dogs Go to Heaven
1989
D: Don Bluth
**********
Don’t get me wrong, I love Don Bluth when he’s at the top of his game.  He was a huge influence on my tastes.  Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time, two of my favorite animated movies, were criminally underrated and they’re a standard by which others should be judged.  ADGtH is to Don Bluth what Signs was to M. Night Shyamalan; it had the director’s stylistic strengths, but it’s where things started to get stupid.  It boasted excellent animation, Don Bluth nightmare fuel, a likable protagonist and a good premise.  I won’t deny the movie’s strengths as a potential masterpiece (Nostalgia Chick does a great positive review of it)  Unfortunately, its tone was ruined by idiotic scenes like the laser attack, the Big-Lipped Alligator Moment and some terrible songs (and yet Don Bluth fans think Titan AE is a terrible movie for some reason).  I don’t know what extent to which this was forced on Bluth, but it wrecks the film for me.

11. The Killer
D: John Woo
**********
Overall it’s okay, but the iconic church gunfight is what makes it worth a look.

10. Black Rain
D: Ridley Scott
**********
It’s enjoyable enough for Ridley Scott’s amazing cinematography.  It looks like Blade Runner without the actual cyberpunk elements.  Despite the visuals, it’s pretty much a rigidly formulaic cowboy cop movie that kinda drags on.


9. Uncle Buck
D: John Hughes
**********
John Candy is great as the loutish uncle with a heart.


8. Henry V
D: Kenneth Branagh
**********
A great adaptation of a great play.

7. Turner & Hooch
D: Roger Spottiswoode
**********
A classic Tom Hanks comedy with a messy dog.  One of the few dog comedies that works.


6. The Little Mermaid
D: Ron Clements, John Musker
**********
The movie has its flaws.  In the words of the Nostalgia Chick, “I sold my soul for a vagina and a man who doesn’t know me.”  Still, I find it very nostalgic and entertaining.  It has a great villain, and some great songs.


5. Back to the Future Part II
D: Robert Zemeckis
**********
The visual treatment of the future is cheesy (particularly the wardrobe), but the time-travel-driven storyline is still great


4. Glory
D: Edward Zwick
**********
Overall, pretty well-made period piece with some good pathos.


3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
D: Steven Spielberg
**********
Probably the most nostalgic of all the Indy movies for me, but it’s been supplanted by Raiders of the Lost Ark.


3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
D: Jeremiah Chechik
**********
One of the funniest Christmas movies ever.


2. Lonesome Dove
D: Simon Wincer
**********
One of my favorite westerns.  I love the chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall is great.


1. Batman
D: Tim Burton
**********
I still prefer this over the Nolan movies, partially because it treats Batman as a mysterious character.  Lots of fun, with a healthy balance between darkness and camp.  Danny Elfman’s excellent score has become the iconic theme for Batman.  While I agree that Heath Ledger has dethroned  Jack Nicholson as the Joker, Michael Keaton is still the king of the live-action Batmans.







<< 1988     1990 >> 

No comments:

Post a Comment