Sunday, July 20, 2014

Least Favorite Movies of the 50's and 60's



<< Black & White Era   1970’s>>

7. The War of the Worlds
1953
D: Byron Haskin
**********
When I was a kid I loved this movie just because of the beautiful and distinctive designs of the alien ships.  Last time I saw it I just thought it was cheesy.



 



6. From Russia with Love
1963
D: Terence Young
**********
I know this is a classic Bond movie that introduced some of the iconic elements from the franchise, but I found it boring.  I seem to have this problem with most 60’s action movies.  Despite assertions to the contrary, they generally have terrible pacing.  I’m not one of those people who automatically assumes that slow pacing is bad, but action movies that lack cerebral or dramatic tone should move fast.  Also, action scenes back then were extremely underwhelming, and this movie is no exception.  I will point out that the novel focuses more on character development, which the movie sorely lacks.



5. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
1969
D: Peter R. Hunt
**********
While this was an early attempt to add character to the protagonist, it fails due to some cheese as well as a weak performance from George Lazenby.  I still think he’s a better Bond than Roger Moore, though.  Pretty good theme song.





4. The Ten Commandments
1956
D: Cecil B. DeMille
**********
Another movie I used to love as a kid.  The movie has amazing special effects, but the stilted dialogue and wooden acting make this like the 50’s equivalent of a Star Wars prequel.




 


3. El Cid
1961
D: Anthony Mann
**********
I only heard of this movie because it’s apparently one of my mother’s favorite films.  Unfortunately, I found it poorly paced and dull.  I was heartbroken when I reached the end of the disc and realized I had to flip it around and sit through more movie.  I don’t want to pull a Hayden Christensen on Sophia Loren because this is the only role I’ve seen her in, but she is terrible in this movie.





2. Thunderball
1965
D: Terence Young
**********
It’s Raw Footage: The Movie.  Extremely dull, even though it starts out strong and has a good theme.








1. Shane
1953
D: George Stevens
**********
One of the most boring and anticlimactic film I have ever sat through.  The hero just hangs out with some annoying kid for most of the movie, which builds up to an incredibly disappointing gunfight in the end.  Jack Palance has his moments as Jack Wilson, but this villain is even more overhyped and overrated than Boba Fett. 









<< Black & White Era   1970’s>>

No comments:

Post a Comment