Sunday, June 29, 2014

Least Favorite Movies of 2004




The #1 entry is probably going to shock some, but hopefully it will make the world a little less lonely for the few who agree with me on it.


10. Shark Tale
D: Vicky Jenson, Bibo Bergeron, Rob Letterman
**********
This spiritual sequel to Antz has atrocious character design, terrible fish puns and cheap pop cultural references.  The presence of Robert DeNiro and Martin Scorsese playing lame self-parodies only makes it worse.  Frustratingly, the movie does have a good amount of funny moments that prevent me from completely writing it off.  At least DreamWorks learned not to make movies about animals with human faces after this.  It also has a decidedly inaccurate likeness of the Titanic’s wreck. 




D: Stephen Sommers
**********
A mediocre film with an inappropriately long runtime.

 







8. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
D: Rawson Marshall Thurber
**********
The only part of this movie I remember being funny was David Hasselhoff’s cameo.








7. Troy
D: Wolfgang Petersen
**********
A bland and oversimplified version of The Iliad with all the mythology/interesting stuff cut out.  At one point Priam makes a speech about how thousands of people getting killed in war because of Paris’ selfish infatuation is somehow noble.  The only things I liked were Sean Bean as Odysseus (I’d like to see a faithful sequel starring him) and a cameo by Aeneas.  Watch Gladiator instead.



 


6. The Dawn of the Dead
D: Zack Snyder
**********
I didn’t like the original, but I would probably dislike this remake more if I did.  All the B-movie charm of it is replaced by Zack Snyder’s tacky style, and the movie seems too much like a generic Hollywood blockbuster.  The movie also features one of the most idiotic actions ever done in a horror movie.  Some woman gets a whole bunch of people killed in an utterly moronic attempt to save a dog.  Even worse, the dog was clearly being ignored by the zombies and was in no immediate danger whatsoever.





5. Saw
D: James Wan
**********
A grungy, dark and violent movie about a serial killer with a twisted sense of justice who traps people and kills them in symbolically gimmicky ways.  Doesn’t sound familiar at all.  The twist ending is so insulting that it makes me wonder why anyone took this movie seriously.  I didn’t see the sequels because I learned my lesson, but I hear they at least deliver on the gore.





 

4. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
D: Alexander Witt
**********
An aggressively bad vixen movie with fight scenes that are either painfully ripped-off or incoherent.  Also has an extremely bland villain.  PWSA delegated directing duties since he was busy with an even more underwhelming movie:


 




3. Alien vs. Predator
D: Paul W.S. Anderson
**********
Some interesting design, but the movie was mostly defined by nonexistent characterization and horribly edited action.  When I saw this I thought it was one of the worst movies I had ever seen, but that was in a happier, more innocent time before AVP:R and “Transformers.”






2. Tentacolino
D: Kim J. Ok
**********
A sequel to The Legend of Titanic.  That’s right a sequel to the animated Titanic movie.  The one that’s not the one with the rapping dog and is somehow worse.  Despite having some pretty scenery, it’s absurd and poorly paced.  The understandable motivations of the “villains” and the petty and sometimes sadistic tendencies of the “heroes” make it one of the worst-framed movies I’ve seen since 300.





1. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
D: Adam McKay
**********
Man, everybody likes this movie.  Hipsters, Jocks, Goths, my brothers, the pope.  Everyone except me.  I like absurd humor when it’s done well, but I find this movie’s humor to be a really forced version of that.  I’ll make a review in which I elaborate on my feelings. 







No comments:

Post a Comment